Monday, January 6, 2014

The Number 1 Rule is Hard to Follow

Chinchillas are mischevious, naughty and cunning.

And, Nimbus is the king of mischievousness, naughtiness, craftiness and wiliness. He is the child of a demon.

The known story of Nimbus's life began at a breeder's. Where he was born or how he ended up at the breeder is anyone's guess. At this breeder's, he served as a stud chinchilla, mating and mating and mating to create new litters of chinchilla pets and possibly (who knows?)... chinchilla coats! He had little interaction with any one chinchilla or people. He arrived at the rescue because the breeder's mom became ill. Unable to to even see to his chins, the breeder took them to rescues.

With this in mind, I tried to make Nimbus's transition to my home as easy as possibly... Well, note that I said tried. I was overly excited, at the same time, about this new, fluffy critter in my house. I probably overwhelmed him more than I provided a smooth transition.


Due to his background, Nimbus is not a people chinchilla. Now, most chinchillas aren't the cuddly, sweet pets we want them to be. It's just not in their nature. However, you can "tame" and "bond" with your chinchilla. One of the best suggestions I've read in order to bond is to hold your chinchilla for five consequent minutes once a day. I've tried to do this with Nimbus, but he's so fidgety that I feel like I'm squeezing him more than I'm bonding with him. Still, chinchillas will grow to learn their names and their owners in given time. Nimbus knows my voice, that when I say "Nimbus" I am speaking to him and what tone I use for disciplining.

Nimbus's first few weeks were a disaster. He chewed everything! Running after him was a constant chore and trying to get him in his cage usually ended with me out of the breath and a bruise or two on my knee from tripping over myself. Chinchillas are FAST! I had no clue what I was in for. Book covers, DVD cases, the wallpaper on my living room wall, the ethernet cable, pens, papers, iPad case, charger cords... you name it, he chewed it. His new favorite snack is my carpet. He'll graze on the stuff like a cow! I have two somewhat noticeable bald patches on my living room floor!

There's a point during the evening and nighttime play hours where you reach a breaking point, especially on a bad day.

The number one rule is "Never yell at your chinchilla." Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue Inc. is not only a beautiful organization but also boosts a wonderful, very informative website. The bulk of my research came from their webpages. A very helpful page is Emotional Health & Behavior. I learned more about a chinchilla here than any other website, and why not? The people in charge of this rescue have come in contact with hundreds of chinchillas since the inception of their rescue. They know how to keep them happy, how to keep them well and active and how to interact with all the different personalities present in the chinchilla species. The webpage reads, "Yes, chins are very sensitive, caring and emotional little critters. They are very curious and love to interact with their friends whether human or another chin." Thus, their number one rule is not to yell. Here comes in one of my biggest flaws: little to no patience!

One of the biggest mistakes a first time chin guardian makes is lack of patience! Showing your chin patience, having respect for how he lives and trying to see life the way he does will be one of the greatest things you can do for him. There are no words to describe how wonderful a trusting, loving relationship can be with your chinchilla. They are so sweet, affectionate, energetic and just plain silly at times. As much as we love and adore chinchillas, we are very honest to acknowledge that they are not for everyone. - Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue Inc.
They continue to say that yelling at a chinchilla, particularly when he's "barricaded" himself in a tight spot or is showing you aggression is only going to end in a destroyed, untrustworthy relationship for both you and him. But, one day, I just snapped.
* * * *
Back in August, I was finishing my last semester as a college undergraduate. It was a stressful time. I was caring for three pets and my two-bedroom house by myself while also attending classes and going to work. It was the first time I had ever been truly on my own, always living with roommates or my family in the past. I left a nasty relationship in April, and now, I had undergone a summer of emotional exhaustion and some physical illness as well.  By the start of classes, I was already exhausted and dead on my feet. 

Every Tuesday, I attended Advanced Creative Writing class from 6 to 9 p.m. I loved the class (it was taught by a quite popular Southern Lit author), but by the time I got home, Nimbus was bouncing and doing flips in his cage. It was exercise time, and he doesn't care if I'm sick, tired, have 2 hours of homework/work to finish or if I've eaten dinner. Of course not! He's an animal, and he needs to be cared for, even if it's at a discomfort to me. So, I let him run free and tried to relax at the same time. That rarely happens anyway, but he's especially naughty and energetic when he hasn't had 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m., and 8 p.m. play times. 

Playing on the cat tree

Off he went!! It was one of those nights where "No!" and even approaching him weren't enough to deter him from chewing something he shouldn't. Instead, he'd hold his ground and provide the standard sign of an angry, possessive chin: tail swishing like a pissed off cat and a very distinctive noise that sounds like chinchilla swear words. It's not a bark or a grunt like if he's fighting with another chin. Nor is it the rusty, rasping cluck of a stressed/defensive chinchilla. It's a grunting, muttering sound. It means, "I want what I want, and if you take it away, I'm going to #@!* *&%!! #$@%&."

Exhausted and at my breaking point, I began a complete tirade, yelling at this furry critter bounding around the living room. 

"Nimbus!! Why?!?! WHY?!?! Why do you destroy my house? Why? It's been 6 months that you've been here. Six months! And, I've tried and tried and tried to bond with you. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've been nice to you, and I've bought you all these toys and everything. Yes, all of these toys. I keep spending money that I don't have so that you can have toys, great toys! But, no, you want to eat the walls and the books and the DVDs and the cords. Why, Nimbus? Why? What am I doing wrong? What have I ever done to you that you don't like me? Do you hate me? I've brought you into my home, which you've completely wrecked, and given you everything you could possibly want. I don't understand why you can't just stop chewing everything!!!!!!! Nimbus, why?? I just want to sit here and stare at a wall, but you keep eating everything. Fine! Just eat it! Just... I don't even care anymore. I don't know why I even bother!"

Obviously, there was more going on in my life than what started my outburst, because I then sat on the floor and started sobbing. It was just a bad night. And because of it, my relationship with Nimbus suffered. He'd didn't trust me for a few nights after that, keeping his distance and causing more mischief.

Yes, we're all going to have bad nights. Definitely more than one. Still, if you have too many bad nights without any patience, you're relationship with your pet is eventually going to be unrepairable. And then, every night will be a bad night. To help relief the stress and make the bond closer, try sitting on the floor while the chinchilla is running around. You can still watch TV or work on your laptop while keeping an eye on him, but you'll be at his level. He'll have access to you to sniff or run over you and check out what you're doing. Chinchillas are extremely inquisitive creatures and want to know the world around them, which is why chewing is a big factor. Chinchillas learn about their world through their whiskers and their teeth. When your pet nibbles on your finger, it's not because he wants to know what sauce goes with you best for dinner. He's reassuring himself that you are his owner. It's how he connects with you and nearly every object he comes into contact with. Also, pick up the house. Keep from getting up to grab a pen or other dangerous object from him that shouldn't be on the floor to begin with. Provide blockades like pillows and blankets stuffed in corners (obstacles that won't become chew toys) to keep him out of places that he doesn't belong. In this house, there are sneakers stuffed between the gap of the floor and the bottom of the oven. There is also a large construction involving three pillows, a blanket, a bag of bedding and a box to keep Nimbus from behind the couch. If it makes the house look cluttered, then you can always put these items away from friends and family members come over. The important factors are your chinchilla's safety and your positive relationship with him. It's not worth giving away your pet or suffering through a decade of miserable years just because the original plan isn't working. Try something new.  Recently, we rearranged the living room where Nimbus lives and plays (since we don't have a spare room for him to solely have). This has improved our relationship dramatically. Now, the cat toys have a box so he'll not chewing holes in the fuzzy mice's faces. There's more room for him to run around and uncluttered space for us to keep an eye on him. 

Make a goal whether it be to become closer with your chinchilla or for him to chew less household items. Then, make a plan and stick to it. If you need any ideas, post a comment or send me a message!! Nimbus and I are happy to help!

Nimbus (right) and a chinchilla birthday card!

No comments:

Post a Comment