Sunday, December 29, 2013

Chinchillas vs. Hedgehogs and Ferrets

Now, I've always wanted a ferret, but there are two major problems with ferrets: 1) the smell and 2) the destruction. My boyfriend at the time put his foot down when it came to a ferret. He did not want to deal with the smell, which is a musky odor like a weasel. In order to keep that smell under control, cleaning the cage is multiple-times-a-week chore... not something we had time for - him with a full-time job and me with a full load of college courses and a part-time job.

I was concerned about point two, which is the destruction a ferret can wreak, especially in our rental home. Ferret curiosity is like no other. Cats are less curious than these little creatures. And because of their curiosity, limber body types and little claws, ferrets are sure to cause some damage. If I had to guess, looking around my house right now, I'd say that I'd have fewer snow globes, constantly dismantled shelves of books, stolen items from the key/wallet/iPod/miscellaneous, and a broken-into candy jar. They steal, they sneak, and they know they're good at it. As entertaining as a ferret would be - and I do plan to own one in the future - right now was not a good time to adopt "Pippin" and "Merry."

Furthermore, the time needed for a ferret to be happy and healthy requires multiple hours outside of his cage. They can be expensive because they need multiple toys to keep them entertained, though if they're anything like Nimbus, it doesn't matter how many toys you buy. They'll still end up playing with objects they shouldn't. Finally, I've held a ferret before, and they are wonderful critters. However, if you're not a fan of snakes, I wouldn't suggest a ferret. They're agile bodies slip and slide, which reminded me of the green snake I owned growing up.

All of the aspects I just mentioned sound like ferrets are horrible pets. Not the case. It just wasn't the right choice for me. Ferrets have vibrant personalities, are individualistic, will provide much entertainment, recognize their owners and have a lot of fun all-around. Just make sure you have the time to care for them.

If you'd like to see what I'm talking about with a ferret's sneakiness, check out this video below. I particularly love the polecat featured in the clip running off with a fish and the ferret who found his owner's bra!

 
Hedgehogs:
Pros -
Keep the cage clean, and hedgehogs will smell less than ferrets, although they do have an aroma. They, too, have distinct personalities, which means that your pet is your pet. Their love for swimming is entertaining and provides a different aspect to other types of small mammals. They live for seven years, which was the length of lifespan I was longing for.

Hedgehogs do not need buddies or mates, which is a plus when you're bringing in an animal you've never cared for previously. Nothing is worse than losing two animals instead of one if something goes wrong... or having to find homes for two animals because your inability to care for them is harming the animals.

During the evening/night, you'll find a very active pet on your hands. They won't sit on your lap, but they will provide entertainment and interaction, according to Pet Info Packets.

Cons -
I wanted a new friend that I could hold without being injured. Obviously, a hedgehog does not accommodate that desire. Yes, they're prickly little critters, and that is something to be aware of, especially if you have children. Those spikes also posed a danger to my cats. They'd learn the lesson, but at what cost? Their safety was more important.

Due to their type of excrement, an everyday chore is cleaning their large exercise wheel. Along with the cage, this can add up to a lot of time not spent with the animal but with chores. Yes, all pets come with chores. My cat Sparta needs a clean litter box, fresh water and food. What he also needs it playtime and a snugly lap. He doesn't need baths, walks in the rain, trips to a specially trained vet or a cleaned cage. You need to research what is the ratio between chores to playtime, if that fits into your schedule and if that's time you're willing to give up in order to own a hedgehog, ferret, rabbit, etc.

Finally, while my home is able to accommodate a hedgehog's desired temperatures during the spring, summer and early fall, I am not able to keep the house between 74-76 degrees F. I just graduated from college and have yet to find a job, which means no income for me. Aside from rent, my heating bill is the top expense in my household. However, unlike rent and the Internet payments, I can control what my heating bill amounts to. This means that on average my house is between 52-59 degrees each day during December, January, February, March and into April as I live in the Appalachian Mountains. This is the PERFECT temperature for a chinchilla as they are native to the Andes Mountains in South America. According to Pet Info Packets, a hedgehog would freeze to death. Meanwhile, my roommate and I bunker down with lots of coats. If it's a sunny day, our home is in the perfect location to bask in the sunlight. On cloudy days, we huddle together under blankets.

From lovedogbook.com

2 comments:

  1. Dear friend,

    Would you like to hotshot your independence in your work environment without making your work area messed? Work area cushions are an incredible approach to do it.

    Thanks..To know Details- frettchen geruch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of this infromation and way that you write about ferret is not true. I have two ferret and one dog. My dog stink more than a ferret. Like dog and any pet ferret also need time to care for them.

    ReplyDelete