Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day 1

11:15 a.m. Wake up after a restless night and check on Nimbus. He is still hidden underneath his wooden house and after some coaxing, he comes out and moves to his second level. He eats a little bit of Timothy hay and snuggles with stuffed bunny. He keeps scratching at his eyes, which are still wet from some type of ointment used at the vet. His fur is matted, and his eyes look irritated. He rubs his face against his lava rock ledge, which has become a chew toy, in order to scratch himself. Completely distraught, I put some chinchilla dust in my hand, which he delightedly rolls against. Then, I place a little handful on his fleece mat. It is just enough for his face, and he draws his paw close to his body. However, he never drank any water.

11:45 a.m. Left Nimbus a soft music playlist going to keep him company and to keep him calm.

2:22 p.m. Call my regular vet to schedule an appointment to remove the stitches 10 days from now. They say I might have to leave him in order for them to observe him for negative effects of the anthesia. "So, you'll need to bring in his cage," the receptionist says. "Um," I reply, "his cage is 4 feet tall! Um, but he has a carrier!" 

2:30 p.m. Check on Nimbus. He takes a few fingertips of water from me but refuses his bottle. Eyes are still irritated. He eats a few Oxbow pellets from his radish bowl. Goes back into the wooden house soon after. 

2:45 p.m. Update the playlist so he'd have music when I step out of the house. Sadly, and I hate to do this, but I can't wait on these particular errands, like depositing money into my bank account after that huge vet bill last night. 

3:00 p.m. Call REACH to ask Dr. Gibson questions concerning Nimbus's lack of drinking. She does not come in for her shift until the 5 p.m. tonight. The vet on staff says Nimbus will be able to wait until then. Very unsure whether that doctor knows what he is talking about.... Also, have questions about Nimbus's medication, so I need to chat with Gibson anyway. 

3:35 p.m. Left the house to run my errands. 

4:45 p.m. Chris returns home to care for Nimbus. He sends me startling text messages that Nimbus is looking quite unwell and still won't drink water. His eyes look worse. 

5:08 p.m. I am finally able to leave the Verizon store. Really? I just want to get home to my chinchilla, people. At least they were very nice and apologetic. 

5:10 p.m. Get in touch with Dr. Gibson. After listening to my description of Nimbus's situation, she thinks it is best to bring him back to REACH. However, I cannot afford a second office visit. Instead, we will try some home methods to get him going again. 

5:25 p.m. Arrive at Harold's Supermarket. Purchase raisins, apples and baby food. 

5:50 p.m. Arrive home. Cut up apples as a source for water for Nimbus. By the time I get home, his eyes are looking significantly better. We try giving him apples. He takes one nibble and then refuses. Clearly, he's not an apple kind of chinchilla. Then, we have to give him his medication. After a long struggle, Chris is able to get the dose in his mouth in one go. He goes back in his cage with the most miserable look on his face, and I burst into tears. For the thousandth time, I wish animals could talk, and I hope that they can understand just how much I don't want to do these painful things to them. But, I have to.

7:43 p.m. Try to feed him baby food (carrot) mixed with water with a small spoon, and he isn't interested in the slightest. Left the bowl and a small cup of water in his cage. Still not drinking. He is being active, however, hobbling around his cage.

9:00 p.m. Let Nimbus play on my bed. I know he's not supposed to be out of his cage. But, eyes are bright. Ears are alert. He bounces on the fuzzy blanket and among the pillows. He establishes his Timothy hay bungalow as his safety place. He chewed the top off long ago so uses the open roof to look out for danger. I will not try to pick him up when he's in the bungalow to establish trust.

9:12 p.m. At the end of play time, try to get water down his throat with eye dropper. When he becomes too excited, I hold him until he calms down. Only get a little water in, but it's better than nothing. Will try again in an hour. This time, we'll go with water first then reward with play time on the bed. Take bowl of baby food out of cage.

10:08 p.m. OMG OMG HE'S DRINKING!!! HE'S DRINKING WATER!!! HE'S FINALLY DRINKING WATER!! YES, YES, YES!!!!

11:00 p.m. One final round around before bedtime. Significant improvement in attitude, energy and overall well being. Once returned to cage, Nimbus begins drinking.

Nimbus was not a fan of baby food.

No comments:

Post a Comment