Thursday, January 2, 2014

There's No Excuse for Not Adopting

I didn't know better as a child, but the reptiles and small mammals I owned growing up came from pet stores. During my college years, however, I discovered petfinder.com, an extremely useful website to find "the pet of your dreams." If the local animal shelter doesn't have the type of dog or cat you're looking for, Petfinder will show you where to find that pet who needs your love. Search by location, type of animal, breed, age, gender and characteristics (house-trained, size, child-friendly, special needs, etc.). There's no excuse for not finding the animal you're looking for, even pure breeds are found in animal shelters.

Right now, there are chinchillas all over looking for homes outside of pet stores.

For instance, I went to Petfinder just now and searched for chinchilla, San Francisco, California (a random pick) and young. And, Petfinder found 37 chinchillas.

Raider - 3 years old, located in Culver City, CA at STAR Eco Station rescue. He needs special attention because he's a biter and hasn't been properly handled in the past. He coat is fluffy and white with gray smudges. His adoption fee is $50.

Paprika - young, located in Red Oak, TX at the ChinChildren Chinchilla Rescue. She's the normal gray coloring with a chubby face. Her adoption fee is $75. 

Chilli - born May 1, 2013, located in New Market, MN at the Windmill Animal Rescue. His owners were forced to give him up to allergies. His adoption fee is $100, or he can be sponsored.

Chilli
Poppy and Clover - young, located in Greensboro, NC at the Red Dog Farm Animal Rescue Network. They are a bonded pair and would not do well if separated. The rescue said that they are a perfectly behaved pair of sisters.

I didn't post these few random choices to convince you to buy a chinchilla because of the adorable photos but to show how diverse in color, age and personality in chinchillas available for adoption.

You may ask, "Well what about the poor chinchillas in a pet store? They need homes, too." Yes, you're absolutely right, but buying from a pet store supports the industry of constantly breeding animals in order to make merchandise or products... a.k.a. pet chinchillas for pet stores across the world.Consider this:

1) When I was young, my mother bought me a guinea pig from a chain pet store, which shall remain anonymous. Nibbles the guinea pig died in my arms seven days later because she had been sick the whole time. I believe that pet stores care for their animals to the best of their ability. However, there can't be enough employees to constantly check and play with each animal. Chinchillas require 1-2 hours, at least, of playtime outside of their cages every day. Where would they even play in a pet store?

 2) Pet store chinchillas will not be used to human company because they haven't been played with as stated before. This can lead to biting and grumpiness. A good rescue will work and interact with the animals on a daily basis to ensure their happiness and health.

3) You're going to pay a much higher price than you want. Nimbus's adoption fee was $44. A chinchilla at PetsMart is $139. Ouch! Your new pet is already going to cost a lip-biting amount when first starting out. Why make it worse for yourself by paying a ridiculous price demanded by pet stores and chinchilla breeders instead of adopting one that was abandoned at a rescue?

 4) Once again, you're supporting an industry that uses animals to constantly reproduce, go through pregnancy, go through the process of labor and birth, have their babies taken away, and then they're thrown back in so that they can reproduce some more. That's pretty brutal, in my opinion. One of my friends is a psychology graduate student in Virginia. For the clinical trials, he and his fellow students test their experiments using live rats. Let me wholeheartedly say that I do not agree with testing on animals, although some of my friend's arguments make me weigh the scales in harm vs. help and so on. However, if you don't believe in testing on animals, how can you support a system that treats them like pet assembly lines? Just think about it.

Now, if anyone would like to counter me in my arguments with statistical proof, please do so! I'm not being sarcastic or sardonic. I'm 100% serious. If I'm wrong, I want to stand corrected.


Anyway, I demanded to myself that I was going to adopt my pet chinchilla. Now, I love Petfinder, but because I live in a small town where the nearest urban city is an hour away, (but I wouldn't consider it as big and diverse a city as Charlotte where I grew up), I had location limitations that Petfinder couldn't overcome. One chinchilla I found was over the state line in Tennessee. However, the rescue admitted that this was their first time having chinchillas and asked for an adoption fee equivalent of that to a pet store. I was shocked and discouraged. It was a price I couldn't afford. But, I refused to give up. So, I began searching the rest of the Internet and discovered the Georgia Chinchilla Rescue in McDonough, Georgia on Facebook. A major stroke of luck!! They were only a couple hours away, and the manager of the rescue had a selection of about seven chinchillas. There was Jack, Mary Kate and Ashley, Paris, Nicole, Gracie and Max. As I was searching through the pictures, I kept coming back to Jack. In every one of his themed photos, he struck a cute little pose like he owned that camera. Sitting on his hind legs, little front paws crossed, he was the picture of perfected adorableness.

I contacted the rescue, which was a out-of-her-home organization run by one woman. Sadly, due to time constraints and financial difficulties, she had to stop rescuing chinchillas for the time being back in July. She adopted out the rest of her chinchillas, except for one. I was so nervous contacting her. After weeks of researching and learning the ways of chin ownership, I wanted to impress upon her that even though it was my first chinchilla I would care for it so that it lived a long and happy life. She provided me with a questionaire that inquired about different aspect of chinchilla ownership and how I planned to personally accomplish them. Also, my answers would reflect, in her opinion, which chinchilla would fit my lifestyle the best. Here are some questions... questions you should ask yourself before adopting a chinchilla:

1. What is the size of the cage you will be using?
Answer: We are have our hearts set on purchasing the All Living Things Deluxe Chinchilla Kit from our local PetsMart. It has two platforms and a bottom tray for lots of climbing and room. Its dimensions are 31" L X 17.5" W X 28.5" H with 7/8" bar spacing, which will be covered by wire mesh (except for the top). Here is a link for this product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752703.
That cage is a no-no, by the way! We never ended up buying that cage! 

4. What type of bedding are you planning on using?
Answer: We love the CareFresh Natural bedding. We used it for our hamster, and the package says it is also a good fit for chinchillas. It is completely safe and does not harm small animals' lungs.

6.  How much research have you done about chinchillas? What do you know about their basic needs and care?.
Answer: Right now, I am waiting for my library books on chinchillas to come to our local branch. However, Stuart and I have done some research, but we wanted to do in-depth research through a book rather than the somewhat untrustworthy Internet. We know that small children do not mix well with chinchillas and that we must handle our new pet very carefully. We also researched their very sensitive dietary needs. They should not receive a lot of treats, especially ones with sugar. They also need wood chews for their constantly growing teeth. Also, we know that chinchillas require a lot of attention because they can get lonely. We wish that we could adopt a pair, but right now, we have room for one. Because of this, we will give it as much attention and love that it deserves.

I couldn't have been more excited when I got her reply: "Everything looks great! . . . I know you're wanting to meet them before you decide, but from what you've told me, I recommend thinking about Jack or Gracie."

Gracie was the calmer one, the rescuer said. She was a slightly older chinchilla, although not considered old by any standard. Her coloring was beige with brown spots on her ears. But, if you know me, I like to do things the hard way, and I had completely fallen head-over-heels for little Jack, the sweetest-looking chinchilla in existence. In fact when the rescuer wrote "Jack is a little more high energy than Gracie" I didn't realize just how much energy she meant!

Little Jack became my beloved Nimbus. I guess I was drowning in the cuteness because I missed that mischevious glint in his eye... and I brought home a little devil!

Nimbus's adoption photo

No comments:

Post a Comment