Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Time to Eat!

Well, will you look outside?? It's snowing here! Not much, but it's the first snow we've seen this year. Supposedly, we'll get a good bit, and it'll actually stick according to our weather forecast.

Snow falling on the backyard.

Also, did you guys see the Seahawks vs. 49ers game?? Wow, how on earth did that happen? Chris and I were glued to the television and to Twitter, reading all the brilliant comments made by users. Some of my favorites:


This game has me cringing like I'm watching a drunken man cross an icy street.

I want to be able to end all my terrible arguments with "the call is not reviewable."

Times I do the have to pee dance w/ audible shudder: when I really have to pee, a bug/spider on me, and really terrible injuries.

That was a tense game. I'm neither a Seahawks or 49ers fan, but I like keeping up with the games, and I'm glad I tuned into that. And by tuned in, I mean stream from the Internet. The Denver Broncos playoff game was broadcasted from a British server. During the commercial breaks, a British announcer would break down the game for all the British football (meaning soccer) fans in the UK. When I watched the Golden Globes, we were streaming from an Australian link. The commercials are fantastic!!!  Pet insurance, "put pork on your fork" and "never let a mate walk home drunk." Commercials aren't so bad when you're getting a variety you've never seen before. However, my favorite conversation from Golden Globes night was between me and Chris.

I was cheering for one of the winners, and Chris looked over and asked, "Did you vote?"

I stopped cheering and stared. "Vote for what?" I asked, hoping this wasn't going where I thought it was. But, it did.

"The Golden Globe winners."

I smacked my palm to my face then stared in wonder. "Chris... no... just no."

"What?" Chris asked. "I don't know about these things."

Anyway, back to Nimbus before someone gets hurt... The medication is completely done, which we're all appreciating. Dragging myself out of bed in the morning to hold down a sleepy, grumpy chinchilla is no one's idea of fun. Two more days until we get those stitches out. 

Food is an important aspect of your chinchilla's well being, if not the most important because of their sensitive stomachs. 

Their diet should consist of hay and really nothing but hay. They need pure Timothy hay and a pellet form of hay with added nutrients. And as you may have guessed, I go straight to Oxbow Animal Health. Oxbow Essentials - Chinchilla is created to fulfill every need for your chinchillas diet in pellet form. According to their website, the "premium ingredients" are Alfalfa Hay for beneficial fiber and protein, soy products for fiber, balanced protein, healthy fat and wheat as an ideal carbohydrate and energy source. Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue notes that the food provides chins with "brighter eyes" and "more energy."

Photo from drsfosterandsmith.com

Notice that the food has absolutely no nuts in the mix. Nuts are extremely dangerous for chinchillas. According to Chinchilla Chronicles, nuts and seeds are "extremely high in fat, protein and oils, which leads to calcium deficiency and liver damage." Forever Feisty agrees. They wrote, "You want to avoid these because they are loaded with fat and can cause fatty liver disease. Some say feeding sunflower seeds to your chin will give their coat a nice luster, but feeding a great diet and regular dust baths will do the same and is a much better way to keep your chin healthy. Fatty liver disease is a hidden killer in chins. It is something that you don't discover until after your chin has passed away if a necropsy (animal autopsy) is done." Other foods to avoid, which in most cases leads to death, include fresh and dried fruits, corn, tap water, pellet mixes, vegetables, salt spools (used mostly for hamsters) and craisins. Chinchillas cannot vomit, and if something disagrees with their stomachs, it can lead to bloating or diarrhea. Both are swift killers. Also, avoid Kayteee Fiesta, Kaytee Forti-Diet, Sunseed and Charlie Chinchilla, which use dyes and dried fruits/veggies, says Forever Feisty. These mixes look more like hamster food. Hamsters can handle and need all different types of foods to keep them healthy and happy. Their diet ranges to several types of food while a chinchilla's does not. Small mammal companies who make pellet mixes need to research more thoroughly the individual dietary needs of the animals they are advertising for.

I use Kaytee Timothy Hay, which although it is not a brand I support, I do enjoy their hay. I live in a small town. If I drive 30 minutes down the road, I can find Oxbow Essentials - Chinchilla food, but they don't carry Kaytee Timothy Hay. Instead, they carry an All Living Things bag that was just worthless. I don't know if I got a bad batch, but both Nimbus and I were disappointed. There were no strong stalks in the bag, which can't help me. I use a veggie basket for rabbits because Nimbus enjoys sitting on his lava ledge and nibbling the stalks dangling next to his head. I also use a small ceramic dust bath to hold his hay, and that was the only food bin I was able to use with All Living Things. Small, torn up pieces of hay fall right through the veggie basket, and Nimbus doesn't enjoy using the ceramic dust bath to eat from. He loves to get at the hay from all sides and lean on his toes to grab the strong stalks. All Living Things was just a disappointment. Instead, I drive over to our local pet store up the road to buy Kaytee. Fantastic stuff! It has the smaller pieces, as to be expected, but also plenty of strong stalks for Nimbus's enjoyment. I've never had a bad bag, so cheers to Kaytee. Be sure to always check that the hay is fresh and clean, no matter what brand you use. Moldy, wet hay is the death of a chinchilla, or any animal like horses.

Nimbus eating hay from the veggie basket.

Acceptable treats are all natural like dried rose hips. Organic whole dried oats, Oxbow Timothy Treats, Oxbow Barley Biscuits, hay cakes and plain Shredded Wheat are also acceptable, as listed by Forever Fesity. Nimbus's favorite treat are Cheerios. We try to only treat him once or twice a week. 

Now, raisins can be used but only in a medicinal way. Raisins are packed with sugar, so providing them as an everyday treat is a no-go. However, if your chinchilla expends too much energy and is suffering from a hypoglycemia/low blood sugar attack then raisins are the way to go. Slip him one raisin, and their sugar will return. Make sure to get them to some water and a Chinchiller, a cooling stone for chinchillas, soon after so that it doesn't happen again. Believe me, raisins work wonders for a hypoglycemic chinchilla. That energy exploding forth is unlike anything you've ever seen. I always keep a small box of raisins in my chinchilla medical kit.

Recently, I've begun feeding Nimbus Oxbow Natural Science - Digestive Support. He received more than necessary this past week because I wanted to make the medication didn't interfere with his digestive system. Now that he's off the medication, his intake of these hay pellets will significantly drop. We call them his "biscuits," and he loves them. But, that's no reason to give him more. I've seen less signs of stomach problems, which I had to deal with once or twice a month if he got into something he shouldn't. I also believe that it was a huge help during this past week. It's a treat, and it's healthy for him. I won't give him 1/2 a tab a day anymore, but it won't be so spaced out that his stomach won't expect it coming. Be advised, however. My gosh, do they stink.

In all honestly, if you're feeding your chin the right pellet mix and Timothy hay, your chin doesn't need any treats or supplements. He'll be perfectly fine with what he has. But, we all know as owners that giving your pet treats is fun. For me, it's been very helpful. One of the cutest tricks Nimbus will do is reach into the air for a Cheerio above his head. This was brilliant work on Chris's part who got him to do it the first time, and I was able to easily see his stitches and check on his wound without holding him down or hurting him. He loves those Cheerios!
Nimbus reaching for a Cheerio, the night before his surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment